Saturday, January 24, 2015

23 JAN 2015 :: Etsy shops

Since Etsy is a website for those who create art, jewelry, clothing, food, and other handcrafted items, it will be one of my frequent post topics.  I thought I may as well highlight some of the ways Etsy helps crafters to sell their products.  If you want to explore Etsy on your own, you can use the search box on the main page  ( http://www.etsy.com ) to find the listings that are available using the terms you choose to find your desired item.

In this blog post, I will be providing links to my shop pages as examples of the main sales and marketing presentations Etsy includes.  There are many parts of an Etsy shop that can be accessed by the public.  You will be able to follow more links from my pages to reach other shops and products.  I hope you will be as amazed by the talent at Etsy as I was. 



I officially signed up with Etsy as a sales opportunity at the end of May 2014.   My time since signing up has been busy learning how it works, and trying to plan what to do as 2015 unfolds.  I don't have many listing right now, I am working on building up my shop.

Commerce sites on the internet offer a variety of resources for their sellers.  Etsy offers a number of blogs that share information on developing your shop, seller forums to connect with other sellers, and teams for sellers to gather in smaller groups with similar interests.  There are also paid advertising opportunities to try.  These activities help sellers reach each other as well as the public.

How well you will sell on Etsy, and how quickly, can depend on a lot of different things, including what you sell and how you market it.  Everyone has to learn how to reach their customers, but helping each other to sell their products is also part of the process at Etsy.

One of the shared selling strategies at Etsy
is marking individual items or shops as your favorite.

These can be collected as categories like food, jewelry, crochet, kitchen, vintage.  You decide what categories of products are important to you.  My categories are changing, but the main ones are similar to the crafts I want to make and sell.  They help me to see what the competition is, what prices are like, what is selling, how to find the shop again, and other important information.  The favorite process also helps to market other seller's products (and yours).

You can see my favorite page here :: https://www.etsy.com/people/work2gather/favorites

Another way to let others know which Etsy products you like best is a "Treasury."  Treasuries are a special grouping of 16 listing photos with links to the item and to the shop.  Each photo includes the listing price or a note that it has sold.  Treasuries change as items are sold, as shops go on vacation, as listings are eliminated.


Etsy is going through a lot of changes it seems. I don't know what it was like before I became a seller, but it seems that when you link to a shop, it takes you to what is called the "Profile" page.

My profile page is  here ::  https://www.etsy.com/people/work2gather

You can see the Profile page offers links to the shop owners favorite listings and favorite shops, their Treasuries, teams they belong to, some of their shop listings and a link to their shop page, plus a description they have created to tell you about themselves.  You can see why Etsy has created this page as the first link to a seller... it lets you decide what you want to discover about the shop and the seller/s from this one page.

There are other links to explore on the shop's main page.  I love the About page because it is the personal story about the owner and what they make. It allows photos, rotating photos, to see what a seller wants to share about their craft or shop. If I had partners, employees, or a manufacturer for any of my items, they would be listed on the About page.

You can see my About page here ::  https://www.etsy.com/shop/work2gather/about

Connecting to social media and creating a blog that links to your Etsy shop are also efforts to reach customers.  Over the course of time, sellers are able to reach different kinds of people who may want to purchase their items for sale.  Etsy currently lets you connect with Facebook and Twitter on the main shop page, but is increasing its social media on the listings pages with Pinterest and Tumblr. I assume more links to social media will be available in the future. The About page also includes the opportunity to link to the sellers blog.



Try to explore the links to my shop and other Etsy sellers. 
I hope to share some of these shops more deeply in future blog posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog for art, crafts, and recycling topics.

Your comments are encouraged. Please be kind, no profanities or disparaging remarks, think about what you want to say, and include as much detail as you can. If you have more information about the topic, let us all know.