Friday, January 09, 2015

9 JAN 2015 :: First post :: What Crafts Mean to Me

Crafts... It's hard for me to define what crafting means to me.  As an Etsy seller now, I am rediscovering how many crafts I really like to do... and seeing what others in the world are doing.

When I was a child, I remember the ads in magazines asking you to draw the picture and send it in for an "evaluation" of your talent.  :-)   I think I sent in at least one of those.  I tend to favor pencil drawing, black and white contrasts, and want to learn to do watercolor better.  I think of beads as a form of art and have always wanted to make art pieces with beads. I hope to extend my art approach into fabrics and mixed media.

I remember exploring photography and ceramics in high school, but can't remember what else I did in those years. Photography has always remained high on my list of artistic efforts to improve on and incorporate into my writings and designs.  I haven't decided where I want to take ceramics and kiln work, possibly exploring glasswork projects.

Knitting was part of my life in my youth, then I switched to crochet, mostly doing baby blankets and small projects. In time I explored smaller threads. It was a challenge to learn to do doily shapes. At one point I purchased a small table loom. Now I want to some day try a full loom, or explore small hand loom projects.

After discovering the exotic threads that are available in specialty yarn shops, I hope to accomplish some yarn projects in the future. And, if I ever get my dream of a farm/ranch, creating my own yarn supplies and looms is on the list of things to do.

Sewing has been in my life since my youth -- I use to design my own clothes, and thought about a career in fashion design. It is still part of my goals, but I plan to focus more on small projects.

When I got to the University of Oregon, I explored beginning jewelry making and fell in love with the process. 

Advertising and marketing are topics that have always interested me. I was raised in the Hollywood area. It's hard to get away from it in that part of the country.  I love a good ad, hate the abuse of consumers.



Now that I am older and encountering larger health issues, how much I can achieve is a big question, but working at home is going to be the better part of my challenges.

With this blog, I want to share my discovery process and links to great crafts and craft topics I find. I don't have any definite restriction, just all things craft.

I hope we all find a great future together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog for art, crafts, and recycling topics.

Your comments are encouraged. Please be kind, no profanities or disparaging remarks, think about what you want to say, and include as much detail as you can. If you have more information about the topic, let us all know.