Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Wednesday, 3 FEB 2016 :: Photo tips

I was sorting through some of my many "piles" of papers last weekend and came across a page from eBay about creating good photos.  I thought I would share it with you.  It was a PDF I think, and I can't find a web reference on the page, but the title appears to be "Top Tips for Great Photos."  A search at eBay should bring up something...  I hope.  :-)  I seem to have discovered the information on the 5th of November in 2015.

Anyway, here is a list of the points on my reference page.  It is better to see the photos that go with them, but that is beyond my skill at this point in time.


Elements of a great listing photo.
  • Use a plain uncluttered backdrop to draw attention to your item.
  • Turn off the flash.  Use diffused lighting to prevent shadows and reflections.
  • Use a tripod to prevent softness and blur.
  • Capture high-resolution pictures.
  • Fill the frame with the item.
  • Capture all angles, details, and blemishes.
  • Show the scale.
  • Keep your photos from tinting.
  • Capture detailed close-up shots.
  • Avoid using props.
  • Optimize the quality of cell phone camera photos.
  • Use eBay picture hosting to optimize your listing for mobile buyers.


There are differences between selling sites, so it is important to notice that this information is focused toward sellers at eBay, which include used items.  Etsy would have VINTAGE items that might be the same category.  I am referring to the suggestion to capture all the blemishes in your listing photos so as not to deceive the buyer.

I think another important photo tip is the suggestion to show the scale of your item.  As I look at more and more photos while I browse Etsy, I am finding it harder to know the size of an item being offered.  Photos can be enlarged, reduced, and doctored in many ways... for buyers to trust you and buy from you, they need all the little details that matter.  Scale is one of them.  I think jewelry is where I notice this most.  Art could be another product that is easily deceptive.

I think it was this PDF that taught me about turning the flash off.  I tried it and was AMAZED at the difference... and is the reason I had to buy a new camera with that function.

Another tidbit I learned with this resource was the effects of lighting... that different light bulbs cause tints in the photos... yellow and blue tints... and why "natural light" is so important to your photos.  (I am working to find the best place to take photos in my environment.)

I hope this helps you to create better photos for your listing items.  There is so much to learn.  I will try to share my process of learning with you so we can all become great together.  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog for art, crafts, and recycling topics.

Your comments are encouraged. Please be kind, no profanities or disparaging remarks, think about what you want to say, and include as much detail as you can. If you have more information about the topic, let us all know.